Paying for College In The Military

, , Leave a comment

Spread the love

Not just any old person can apply and serve in the military. It takes courage, pride and a special type of motivation and strength to even get though the brutal training! But with the hard work required to be in the military, there’s also some pretty nice benefits, especially when it comes to college and trade school. If you are in the military or have recently completed your first 90 days, here are some military education finance options you can apply for. 

1. The GI Bill 

This is one of the most common ways veterans pay for their education. You can receive 4 years of education benefits whenever you are a service member or a veteran. You can use these benefits to attend career schools, college, licensing and testing programs and trade schools. 

2. The post -9/11 GI Bill

This special type of GI bill pays for your tuition, fees and also a stipend for books and housing if you have served at least 90 days in active duty. In addition to this, it can also be passed on to a family member or spouse! People who suffered with losing a family member after September 10, 2001 might be eligible for the Fly Scholarship, that has the same benefits as the post -9/11 Bill. 

3. Tuition Assistance “Top-Up” Program 

This amazing program is an additional benefit to supplement the tuition assistance from the military GI Bill. People who are eligible For the top-up benefit must be approved for federal Tuition Assistance by the military department and also must be eligible for GI benefits. The Tuition Assistance will pay 75% of the cost and the top-up will pay for the rest. Here’s how to apply for the top-up program: 

Go to your branch of service and request Tuition Assistance. Talk with your education counselor or service officer. Using the VA’s VETS.Gov website, find, download and complete the application for the VA education benefits. If you have filed a claim for the MGIB before and wasn’t denied benefits, send in your signed Tuition Assistance approval form to the VA processing office. 

4. Active Duty Health Professions Student Loan Repayment Program

Do you work in the healthcare industry? Well I have good news for you! Healthcare professionals who are in active duty can get up to forty thousand dollars per year for up to three years if they work in the medical, dental, nursing, allied health, or veterinary corps industry while on duty. They can also be eligible for fifty thousand dollar in loan forgiveness for over 3 years if they are serving in the reserves. 

5. Army Student Loan repayments

You can get up to 1,500 or 33% towards an unpaid principal balance of your student loan for every year you are in active duty. A few loans that qualify for this repayment program is Parent PLUS loans, consolidation loans, Grad Plus loans, and Perkins Loans. Which program are you more interested in trying out? Tell us in the comment section below and don’t forget to like and share us with others!



Leave a Reply